The New London County Historical Society has one of the most extensive family history collections in the Southeastern Connecticut region. Our library is open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoon from 1 to 4. There is a $15 fee for non-members. Appointments are recommended. For information on having research done by us please click here:
Research Policies and Fees.
- An extensive collection of family histories and genealogies
- WPA notebooks of headstone inscriptions for each town in the county
- Indexes of marriage and death records from county newspapers, 1758 – 1866
- The third largest newspaper collection in the state, dating from 1758 to 1904
- City directories of New London and Norwich, which include surrounding towns
- R. B. Wall scrapbooks of articles on New London history
- Histories of New London County, many including extensive biographical information
- Joshua Hempstead’s diaries
- Early New London census
- Wills and property transactions
- Justice of the peace and tax records
- Ship registers and logs
- Records and minutes of local civic organizations and societies
Diaries and Correspondence
- Our library has over 100 diaries, journals and personal correspondence collections of New London families.
Family Bible Records
Family Bibles often contain detailed records of births, marriages and deaths and we have a collection of these dating back to the 1700’s.
We have necrology and genealogical notebooks on New London families compiled by historian Francis M. Caulkins, Lucretia W. Smith, William Stark and others.
In our collection of historic maps, are surveyors’ maps and published maps listing property owners.
Giles Bishop was a leading New London photographer of the mid-nineteenth century. We have his personal photograph album — a wonderful source of pictures of the citizens of New London at that time. In addition, we have family albums and portraits and photographs of civic activities, school groups, and New London street scenes, including private residences.
School Annuals and Ephemera
We have yearbooks and school publications from many of the local schools. In particular, we have an extensive collection for the Bulkeley School.
New London Families
Some of the families represented in our collection are
Please note that these are only some of the New London County families. Our library has information on many families not listed above.