New_bathroom_entrance photo

Friday 30 April, the New London County Historical Society will celebrate the completion of a $60,000 construction project to add an accessible bathroom and classroom to the 1845 wing of the Shaw Mansion. A reception will be held from 4:30pm to 6pm with the ribbon-cutting slated for 5:15.

The project was supported by grants from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, the Community Foundation of Southeastern Connecticut, The Frank Loomis Palmer Fund administered by the Bank of America, and through a matching grant from the State of Connecticut’s Community Investment Act, Historic Preservation Funds, administered through the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism.

Consulting architect for the project was Rick Gipstein of Lindsay Liebig Roche Architects of New London, and the contractor was LaBossiere Builders of Norwich. Short-term funding assistance was obtained through the Southeastern Connecticut Enterprise Region (seCTer).

The project has transformed what was once the 19th century servant’s hall and  kitchen, and a small lavatory stuffed into a closet in the 1970s, into a large classroom and commodious bathroom which meets ADA guidelines. The entire first floor of the historic house is now accessible to visitors, with the bathroom accessible from both the inside and outside of the building. This will allow the lovely garden area of the Shaw Mansion to be a much more attractive and useful location for events.

The Board of Directors of the historical society hope that many members and invited guests will join in a toast to our new bathroom!

From:

hallway_destruction_photo

To:finished_stairway_photo